Learning a New Way to Savor
Thank you to everyone who has been sending me such supportive messages. You all are really great, and your kindness means so much to me!
My wonderful husband came home for lunch on Friday with chocolate pudding and chocolate fudge Pop-Tarts, and he hadn't even read my blog yet! Just goes to show what nearly 22 years of marriage can teach a man.
I've finally graduated to real food though. Today I had salad and chicken — real veggies and protein! Stuff I actually had to chew! I had to be careful, but everything went down fine, no choking, so I'm quite happy to be back on real food.
We also went to our brand-new Sam's Club, only five minutes from our house. It opened just a couple of weeks ago. This was my first outing since the surgery, and I was being careful not to overdo it. Ron pushed the cart and I pointed at stuff for him to put in it. And I did fine until about three-quarters of the way through, at which point I just conked out. So we skipped the rest and went home. Ron and Brigid put everything away and I took a long nap.
Overall, today has been a pretty good day, getting to eat real food and getting out of the house for a little while. I celebrated this evening with one of my Godiva truffles that I've been hoarding since Christmas. Normally those truffles would have been all gone already, but apparently having a paralyzed vocal cord makes eating truffles properly a difficult task. When I eat a truffle properly — you know, savor it: take a tiny bite and let it melt slowly over my tongue before allowing it to slip gracefully down my throat — it makes me choke and cough a bit. Kind of kills the pleasure aspect of the whole experience. I'm guessing it must be the high sugar content that produces this effect, but I don't really know. So anyway, the box of 24 truffles Ron gave me for Christmas, which I would normally have polished off in 24 days (or maybe 12 days), has instead lasted until now. I actually still have 12 truffles left. I've had to alter my truffle-eating procedure. I still take a tiny bite, but instead of savoring it, I actually chew it and swallow it on down. What a desecration of good chocolate! It's over way too quick! Oh well, it's better than no chocolate.