Lisa Lately

Random musings about life, family, and crochet

My Photo
Name: Lisa
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a perfectionist. What more do you need to know?

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Pattern: Dishcloth


People on the Crochet Partners list recently had a long discussion praising the superiority of crocheted and knitted dishcloths to store-bought dishcloths. So I crocheted a dishcloth.

When I used it, I experienced an unexpected sensory memory. This crocheted dishcloth felt just like the dishcloths I grew up with. I immediately made a few more so I could have a whole supply!

You shouldn't use acrylic yarns for dishcloths. The acrylic doesn't absorb very well, and it doesn't dry out well, either. Cotton yarns are much better.

I used Lily Sugar'n Cream and Bernat CottonTots. The CottonTots makes a softer fabric than the Sugar'n Cream, and I think the Sugar'n Cream makes a better dishcloth for this reason. The CottonTots would be better for clothing, though.

You can click on the pictures for a larger view.


Above is a newly made dishcloth, before going through the washing machine. Posted by Hello

The dishcloths in the rest of these pictures have been through the washing machine a few times and are holding up well, so far.

The dishcloth above is made from Sugar'n Cream. It's an earlier version of the pattern given below. Posted by Hello



This dishcloth is made from CottonTots. Its texture is softer than the Sugar'n Cream. Posted by Hello



This Sugar'n Cream dishcloth is currently in use at my sink. You can see how the dishcloth expands and stretches when it's wet. This is a great trait for dishcloths, not so great for swimsuits! Posted by Hello


This pattern is extremely easy, excellent for a beginner. Gauge isn't important, so use whatever hook feels comfortable to you. I make my dishcloths approximately 8.5 inches square. This is easy to measure without a ruler if you have a piece of 8.5" x 11" printer paper handy, perhaps the page you've printed out your pattern on!

I like to have a row of slip stitches on both ends (top and bottom) of my dishcloth to give it a firm edge. To get a row of slip stitches at the beginning, you'll need to leave a really long tail when you start.

I also like to begin with a "foundationless" sc. This allows you to start making sc's right away without having to make a long foundation chain. Okay, so this isn't such a big deal for a little dishcloth, but this method really saves a lot of time when you're making an afghan that calls for a foundation chain of 200 stitches! A dishcloth is a good item to make to practice foundationless foundation rows.

Josi Hannon Madera has great pictures showing how to do this. Josi calls it the "Double Base Chain Stitch." This site also gives pictorial instructions for other stitches, including the Triple Base Chain Stitch (foundationless double crochet).

Basically, you'll be making a chain stitch at the base of each single crochet, then you make your next set of stitches into that chain stitch. Follow Josi's pictures while you work the foundation row below.

MESH DISHCLOTH

2-2.5 oz. worsted weight cotton yarn
I hook, or whatever size hook you prefer

Measure off 5.5 to 6 times the width of a sheet of paper (8.5") to make a long starting tail to use for slip stitches later. Tie your slip knot at that point. Be sure to work with the ball end of the yarn now, not the tail end.

Foundation Row 1: Chain 2. Insert hook into second chain from hook, yarn over and pull through one loop (ch st made); yarn over and pull through both loops (sc made). *Insert hook into the chain stitch you made, yarn over and pull through one loop (ch st made); yarn over and pull through both loops (sc made). Repeat from * until your chain is about 8.5" long and an odd number of stitches. Ch 1, turn.

Row 2: Sc in the first sc. *Ch 1, skip next sc, sc in the next sc. Repeat from * across. Sc in last sc. Ch 1, turn.

Row 3: Sc in the first sc. *Sc in the next ch-1 space, ch 1, skip next sc. Repeat from * across. Sc in last sc. Ch 1, turn.

Row 4: Sc in the first sc. *Ch 1, skip next sc, sc in the next ch-1 space. Repeat from * across. Sc in last sc. Ch 1, turn.

Repeat rows 3 and 4 until dishcloth is almost 8.5" long.

Next row: Sc in each sc and each ch-1 space across. Turn (do not ch 1).

Last row: Sl st in each sc across. Fasten off.

First row: With the long beginning tail, sl st in each sc across foundation row. Fasten off.

Weave in the two ends. Wash your dishcloth before using it. Now go wash some dishes!

7 Comments:

Blogger noricum said:

Hey, neat... you got a "breast cancer awareness" ribbon in one of your dishcloths!

Thursday, March 31, 2005 5:31:00 PM 
Blogger Lisa said:

Geek that I am, I thought it looked like a strand of DNA. Thanks for the comment!

Thursday, March 31, 2005 10:22:00 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said:

This, so far, has been the workingest dishcloth I've made! I use Lily Sugar 'n Cream for my dishcloth's because it just works better and has a nice touch, not creepy when wet! I agree, homemade dishcloths are far superior to any store purchase and the bonus of quick practice with practicality appeals too! Thank you for posting the pattern! Kissamew, Chef #244102 @ Recipezaar

Monday, September 03, 2007 1:29:00 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said:

thank you for the circle basics. I was looking to make infant kippots. I guess a basic circle is a circle what you do with it makes it unique. I also like the dish cloths. I use mine more as a small towel. Also tip I have used the dish cloth patterns and crocheted squares using regular yarn and I think same hook.

Lynda G

Sunday, April 13, 2008 4:12:00 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said:

Again I've referred to the dishcloth pattern. I do make others, but this is my favorite for a basic, no-nonsense, working dishcloth! I found an old pattern for what was called a "Double Foundation Chain" with a picture that is the same as this pattern's foundation, and somehow the light went on with that one! Anyway, what a difference! I haven't tried it yet, but what if the foundation is performed in the bottom of the chain? Then it would leave a nicer, neater edge. I'm pretty sure I've found a new "favorite beginning" now. "Kissamew"

Monday, May 26, 2008 9:08:00 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said:

I'm confused about which yarn is softer. You state it's Lily Sugar & Cream and you also state it's Cotton Tots. Which is it?
I really like these dishcloths. I got one from a friend and I'm going to make some myself. Thanks, Lil
lilitha9@yahoo.com

Friday, March 15, 2013 12:15:00 PM 
Blogger Lisa said:

Lil - I said that the CottonTots is softer, but that the Sugar 'n Cream makes better dishcloths. That's because softness isn't really a desirable trait for a dishcloth. Of course, my post is now several years old, so these yarns may be different today! :-)

Friday, March 15, 2013 8:40:00 PM 

Post a Comment

HOME